Sunday, December 14, 2014

Two 6" blocks = 240 pieces


I'd been doing a lot of knitting and came across problems that were bothering me in two projects. I decided to put them aside (temporarily), switch gears, and do some FPP (Foundation Paper Piecing). That's always a fun process for me.

About a month ago, Carol Doak designed a new block for the members of her CarolDoakQuiltingGroup yahoogroup. It's called the Holiday Star and it has a total of 112 pieces. I love blocks with lots of pieces! Carol provided the pattern for a 12" block. I made it smaller, 6", printing out the pattern using Mona's EQ7 drawing of the pattern.

I made two blocks and for one of them I changed the pattern a little to add in extra pieces in order to sort of float the star inside a dark background. The orange/yellow one will be going into a large collection of blocks I have in the same color scheme (for making into a quilt one day, of course!) The rainbow colored one, I haven't decided what to do with it yet. It will get pinned to the piles of other orphan blocks on my design wall.

Here are my fabric choices: 




Then I printed out the line drawing provided by Carol and colored in with my pencils. Yes, I still do it that way instead of in EQ7!


Here it is sewn in eighths:

And, in quarters:

And, finished blocks!


 
Thearica has a blog that I've been following for several years and she recently decided to change the direction a little and thought it would be nice to change the blog name, too. It's called Stitch and Quilt and she is now sponsoring a giveaway with four chances to win bundles of fabric! You have thru December 17 to enter.

Enjoy! 

Debbie




9 comments:

  1. This is unbelievably beautiful. You are one brave lady to make blocks like this, and especially when they're scaled-down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie,
    These blocks are amazing. I like to pp but not at this level. You have my admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those stars are amazing! Piecing them by hand would have been almost impossible but with FPP you have a perfect result, and in stunning colours, too, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, you do BEAUTIFUL work. All the work you do before you commit to sewing really pays off. What will you do with these blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am getting my post ready to declare the winners of the 4 bundles... You might want to check my blog in about an hour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful! Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful blocks! I happen to be moving to Jerusalem next August, and I will be wanting to buy a nice sewing machine - can you recommend a place that has good service? I will be living there for 2 years, and am hoping to get into the "sewing/quilting scene". Is there a quilt guild? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, I didn't realize I was a no reply blogger. I tried to fix it, I hope it worked!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and like to reply to the people who take the time to comment. If you are a no-reply blogger, which means that your email address is not set up in your profile, or you don't have a profile, please leave it in the text of your comment. Thanks!