Friday, July 16, 2010

Trying out embroidery with felt

A couple of weeks ago I received a gift of a beautiful applique pattern. After spending some time examining it, I decided that I would like to make it with felt. I have a collection of different colors of felt and thought it would be a good idea to make a practice piece, as I don't remember ever having appliqued with felt before.

Around that time, Jenny of Elefantz started her current BOM, Daisy-Do (see button on my sidebar). The first thing I thought was that it would look good in felt! It was fun to work with and I think it looks great. The rainbow variegated thread I used for the blanket stitch was dyed by me for the big stitch quilting I did on Michael's quilt nine years ago. I also dyed the fabrics for that quilt.


Have a great weekend,


Friday, July 9, 2010

YTRR, Top finished

Last week I finished the top of the YTRR miniquilt. It now measures 14 inches. I plan to take the quilting on this very seriously and very slowly. I'm hoping it will be good for entering into shows.


One of my quilting groups, the Zahava Quilters group in Beitar, is having a giveaway on its Quilting Corner blog to celebrate reaching 100 posts! Up for grabs is a vintage quilt book from 1979. Check it out and enter with three different chances. You have until August 2!

Have a good weekend,


Monday, July 5, 2010

Using leftovers

Time to do some catching up!

I've previously written about the Block Lotto that I've been entering over the past year and a half. This year I haven't participated in most of them, but intend to make the cool blocks for the July Block Lotto. One of the months I did participate in was January. Here are the Tic-tac-toe blocks I made for January. 


Because the style of the blocks are wonky, they are usually made larger and then trimmed down to size. When I made the January blocks, I saved all the trimmings. Last week I decided it's time to make something with them. I trimmed all those pieces, to straighten them out, and tried out several different layouts. This is what I finally came up with.



I ironed the strips to a piece of fusible pellon. What I'm going to do with it now, I don't know, but it's hanging on the design wall with a bunch of other small tops. It measures about 7" x 20".